Moving to the Yukon

“Service à la clientèle, Carole à l’appareil, comment puis-je vous aider?” This was a daily refrain for five years of my life. Sitting at my desk in my little grey cubicle, headset on my ears, computer screen in front of me, I was surrounded by about fifty other people doing somewhat the same as me. The companies changed, but the verses remained.

This time, the grey walls of the cubicles were low enough that everyone could see the cityscape that surrounded us. Looking out my window from where I sat, I could see the drab flat roof-top of the mall just down the street, the one I would go to for my daily work-out routine after work. It was the same thing, day after day, of driving forty minutes, working nine-to-five, and another forty minute drive home.

My family was impressed with how far I had come. I grew up in Timmins, a small Northern Ontario mining town. Finding employment proved difficult due to my lack of skills and education. I was a high school dropout. I tried returning on three separate occasions, each time with the same result, even though I told everyone I wanted to become a teacher someday.

Whether you were out shopping at K-Mart, eating french fries at the London Café, or simply filling up at Sunny’s Gas Bar, you could hear broken French everywhere around you. Being bilingual wasn’t a big deal in Timmins. When I moved south to the big city of Toronto, however, I quickly realized that my language skills were an asset. Demand for French speakers was high, which put me at an advantage. I managed with what I was making working in that postage stamp-sized cubicle, but there was little opportunity to move forward.

For several months now, I was seeing someone, and I admired his sense of adventure. He worked as a consultant in car dealerships helping them get back on their feet. He would live in one place after another, helping companies in dire need of his services, but it was always a temporary gig. He announced, one day, that he had received an offer to work in Whitehorse, Yukon for a year, and asked me to come along.

When I was a child, my uncle lived in Whitehorse, and when he and my aunt would visit, they always talked about the Yukon. I remember a lapel pin I received as a gift. It was the Yukon’s coat of arms, and my aunt explained every little minute detail, down to the two sharp peaks representing Yukon’s beautiful mountains.

It didn’t take me long to pack whatever belongings I could fit into my little red Corolla. I sold some larger pieces of furniture, and simply gave the rest away. My car was packed with my life. I showed up for my last day of work, luggage corseted in the back and on the rooftop, ready to leave at 5pm. To make space for a gift-basket I received from my co-workers, I had to leave behind a couple of ceramic vases in the office. They still embellish a co-worker’s little grey cubicle almost six years later.

When five o’clock rolled around, I eased out of the underground parking garage, the yellow-striped gate moving up for me one last time. I drove past the brown brick mall up the street and the smoke-mirrored office building on the right. Concrete sidewalks pushed up against concrete buildings. People walked along going about their usual business: expecting mother pushing a blue baby stroller; a couple jogging toward nowhere in particular; a man smartly dressed in a business suit, briefcase in hand.

My life, at thirty-three, was going to change forever… I hoped for the better.

It was a long drive to the Yukon. The road led from the lush greenery of Ontario, across the endless fields and skies of the prairies, and through the snow-capped mountains of British Columbia. After finally reaching Mile Zero on the Alaska Highway we still had almost another 900 to go (or 1400km).

When we finally arrived in Whitehorse and unloaded the car, tears came to my eyes. The realization that I was the furthest I could be from home without leaving the country terrified me. I couldn’t just hop in the car and visit my family after a day’s drive, it would be more like a five-day road trip, one-way.

I gradually settled into the tiny furnished basement apartment across the river. I knew that my life would be forever changed, but I didn’t know if I would regret my decision. Different scenarios and questions came to mind. The sense of adventure of moving across the country had attracted me, but what would happen if I didn’t find a job? How hard would it be to make new friends and acquaintances?

I spent the free time I had driving around the Yukon to experience its beauty, but worry started hanging around like an unwelcome visitor. Four months and thirty-four résumés later, only two interviews were granted, and I was still without a job. There was no way around it; I simply couldn’t rely on my bilingualism anymore. I eventually found work as a teller, but the pay was low and supervisors treated us like high school kids.

One afternoon, I went up to the local college to see what some of my options might be. A dark blue sign with light blue lettering hanging from the ceiling caught my attention: “Yukon Native Teacher Education Program (YNTEP)”. Would they accept someone who was simply Métis, and not a full-status Native? What about the fact that I was a high school drop-out?

I turned into the narrow hallway and entered the office holding my breath. When I found out that I could apply into the program, I was elated. Determined to get started, I enrolled with a full course load in January in anticipation of getting into the program. In the fall I was accepted and was on my way to becoming a classroom teacher.

Less than a month into the fall term, my partner announced that he was offered work in Manitoba. Knowing the kind of work he does, I knew things would eventually come to this. We tried to keep things going despite living apart, but I still had almost four years of full-time studies ahead of me. Could a long-distance relationship last that long? During a holiday visit, I inadvertently discovered the answer to that question and eventually cut the ties with him.

Post-Christmas music was still warming Main Street speakers when I started having problems with my laptop. I e-mailed a former computer instructor to enlist his help and was grateful that he accepted. A while later, upon our second meeting for more help with my computer, I planned to ask him out for coffee and dessert. He was a soft-spoken guy, very tall with soft blue eyes. He was about my age and had a good sense of humour. I wanted to get to know him better.

It was -47°C that morning. I slipped on my huge Sorel boots and bright yellow winter coat – fashion is not an option at those temperatures – and managed to get the reluctant engine to start. The first few minutes of driving felt like I was on the worse pot-holed road you can imagine, the tires being frozen square solid. Nothing was going to stop me from going to school that day. There are no electrical outlets in the student parking lot, so I reverted to letting the engine run while doing my business inside the college.

While doing a few computer techie things on my computer, I mentally replayed the question I would ask him. Before I could manage to get the words out, HE invited ME out for coffee. The coffee turned into a dinner date, a relationship, and on summer solstice of last year, we exchanged vows on a friend’s wooden deck overlooking a valley and Cowley Lake in the Yukon.

Six months later, I completed my studies in the YNTEP program.

Now I look out my window, and I see mountains in the distance, pine trees and fireweed, and salmon-coloured skies. This fall, there will be little grey desks in a room filled with students. The alphabet will line the top of one wall, and in place of a telephone, there will be a new vase with fresh flowers on the corner of my desk.


As all Yukoners know, a common question we ask each other is, “What brought YOU here?” and “What made you stay?” So tell me.



  1. fawnahareo said,

    July 28, 2008 at 7:51 am

    What a great story. Thanks for sharing it!

  2. Moon said,

    July 28, 2008 at 8:31 am

    Hey CB, thats a wonderful story, I love the fact you just never know what is around the corner until you try. Life doesn’t have to sit still if you don’t want it to. I will tell you all in my blog oneday of how I became married to a Slovakina girl, and now live in Newport Beach .. it’s a very long dtory !!!

    Good for you, everything happens for a reason, and just keep doing the positive things and you will cope with the bad ! x

  3. Kara said,

    July 28, 2008 at 8:32 am

    Lovely story! I will have to work on my own now I guess!

  4. July 28, 2008 at 11:46 am

    Fawn & Kara: Thanks. I’m looking forward to reading yours.

    Moon: You’re really good at teasing, aren’t you. You often mention little things in your posts that make me want to know more. I look forward to hearing your story about meeting Mrs. M, and what brought you across the pond. Why were you living in DBM’s basement for a while? Why your trip to Thailand was so important in your life. Lots and lots of juicy details to write about. Keep on blogging!

  5. July 28, 2008 at 11:47 am

    P.S. for Moon and Fawn: You two have to make sure you enter your blog’s URL (web address) in the appropriate area when leaving a comment. That way, people can easily click on the link to get to your blog. 🙂

  6. fawnahareo said,

    July 28, 2008 at 1:12 pm

    Hi Carole – I ALWAYS enter the URL when *I* leave a comment. Thing is, that first comment was actually Michael! I had used his computer to check my blog traffic while we were in the hospital and I guess I didn’t sign out, and he didn’t notice until after “I” posted a couple of comments on various WordPress blogs. 😛

    Anyway, I do agree with him — a great story! I don’t think mine will be as engaging. 🙂

  7. Moon said,

    July 28, 2008 at 1:36 pm

    oooh, how do I do that then ?

    As for story … well, I guess it is kind of intersting, bit sad really… inc a divorce … death of a father… and he we are …. well, a few bits in between !

  8. July 28, 2008 at 1:44 pm

    Ha ha, Fawn’s comment was actually from me. She borrowed my computer and forgot to log herself out. Luckily for her, I resisted the temptation to make cheeky comments all over the blogosphere using her identity.

  9. July 28, 2008 at 4:38 pm

    Moon: After you type in your name and e-mail address, there’s a line that says URI (on some blogs it may say URL). That’s where you put the address to your blog, in your case:
    Then your name on the comment becomes a link to your blog.

    I’m sorry to hear about everything you’ve been through. I know it sounds like a cliché to say that things happen for a reason, and I’m not entirely sure I believe in fate. However, hard times force us to slow down and do some serious thinking, which sometimes leads to serious decisions. In the end, I believe if you can learn from your experiences, good and bad, it makes you a better person.

    Fawn & Michael: I’m always amazed at how you two manage to find a moment to smile, joke around, and tease each other with all that you’re currently going through. Knowing that Jade didn’t have to go to Vancouver again was good news. I appreciate the updates.

  10. Tammy said,

    July 28, 2008 at 9:17 pm

    What a well written piece, Carole! And now, I have something to mull over and write for later!
    Congrats on the job….I know how hard those are to find this year! We’ll miss your face in our staff room, though.

  11. July 28, 2008 at 9:24 pm

    Awe, thanks Tammy. Unfortunately, it takes me forever to come up with something decent. But you seem to have a way with words in all your posts. I love reading your stuff. I’m looking forward to reading your story too!
    We should get together for coffee before school starts.

  12. Stacie said,

    July 31, 2008 at 1:42 pm

    Michael! It was such a great opportunity to get away with SO much, haha! Although then you would have had to deal with the wrath of a hormone-ridden-preggo-Fawn who may not find it nearly as funny as the rest of us… 🙂

  13. Phil said,

    August 1, 2008 at 8:26 pm

    Amazing story!

  14. August 1, 2008 at 10:17 pm

    Thanks Phil!

  15. Candice said,

    August 15, 2008 at 10:00 pm

    I just found your website – your story about your move is inspiring. We are in the process of selling our coastal home and relocating to the beautiful Yukon Territory. I must admit that I am very nervous about leaving hearth and home – but hearing the same fears from someone else – even a complete stranger – has strenghtened my resolve.
    Bravo on your acheivements!

  16. August 24, 2008 at 8:42 am

    Hi Candice,
    It’s always nerve-wracking to leave house and home and move to the unknown. Generally, people either love it or hate it, and there’s no in-between. Expect that if you end up liking it here, you’ll probably stay here forever. If you hate it, you’ll leave way before you had planned.

    Good luck and welcome!

  17. arnold.warm said,

    September 9, 2008 at 1:04 am

    very nice story and very nice place

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: